Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Petit Gods Accepted. Gun Control is Victim Control.

I just got an email from Michael Pederson, editor at Nth Degree magazine, accepting my story "Petit Gods" in their online version, Nth Zine. WOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

http://nthzine.com/

That's so great! I had one story accepted before but the anthology folded before it got printed, which means I got nothing, and I was really hoping for that kind of exposure. The thing is, it's a good story. So what now? Now I don't know. I have sent it out to different places but have yet to hear from them. The title of the story is "The Pusher". But then, I have several good stories--at least, I think they're good and of course I'm 100% objective--that I haven't been able to get into print.

As I said in my first entry here on blogger, I really didn't intend to join the blog community. When I finally signed up, I figured, maybe I will be more careful in a blog rather than just throwing down words in a journal. Hell, in my journal, I've done 12 and 14 thousand words a day. I can blast out 4k words an hour when I'm journaling and that's with a five minute break for more coffee every fifteen minutes. But it's gibberish! It's all my fears, my insecurities, my anger and my rages. It's not readable and only serves to relieve my internal conflicts. Half the time, I'm afraid that I'm spewing all my emotions there and that is why my fiction suffers. The other half of the time, I figure at least I'm writing and any writing is better than no writing. Probably, I'm correct on both counts.

Anyway, there are probably tens of thousands of blogs out there by aspiring writers and many more tens of thousands by aspiring musicians, artists, etc. But I did get a story accepted, my second accepted story, and that might not mean anything but it's been about a year since my first story got accepted. Had I done more in that year, hell, I might have all kinds of acceptances by now. I'm so fucking lazy sometimes. If I put the same energy into writing that I do into gun practice and sending letters to my representatives, I'd have finished a novel by now.

The thing is, I think I lost the most important element in writing. I stopped reading. I read fiction very rarely now. Oh, I still read. And write. But it's mostly on internet forums and magazines related to guns and politics. See, in addition to being a writer, I'm also a Second Amendment proponent and handgun enthusiast. I believe anyone who isn't barred from owning a firearm should be able to keep one, carry one, conceal one, and that's that. As is so often said in the gun forums: What part of 'shall not be infringed' don't you understand?

Anyway, so I've got to get back to reading more fiction and I've done that some. I just read a book called Nightspinners by Lucretia Grindle (sp?) and liked it a lot, mostly because it was about loss and family...well, loss AND family. But maybe with this new acceptance of the story, it will give me a chance settle down and do some more writing. Who knows?

Oh, for those of you interested in the right to bear arms, here are some links:

Packing.Org


GlockTalk

GunFacts


That last one, gunfacts, is absolutely the most important that you will find. It refutes a lot of the anti-gun propoganda that's floating around out there. If there are any of you out there that get to Brian Keene's blog, Hail Saten , please review back a few months and you'll see my guest editorial that he was kind enough to allow me to share with his readers.

Remember, criminals prefer unarmed victims. Anyone who advocates gun control doesn't understand that criminals break the law, therefore no law on guns will stop them. The only thing to do is allow honest, law-abiding citizens to protect themselves. It's obvious that with more and more states allowing concealed-carry of handguns, the national crime rate has been going down for more than ten years. There are a lot of factors involved, like a good economy for starters, that decrease crime. Well, except in places like Washington, DC, and Chicago, where even protecting yourself with a firearm is a crime. However, property crime like theft and vandalism, have not decreased with the same speed as people-on-people crime. Why? It's easy to steal a VCR. Try stealing a 5'1, 105 pound woman holding a S&W .357 magnum with the hammer cocked and that big ass hole at the end of the barrel staring you in the eyes. In the future, I'll post some links here that show why you can't depend on the police.

Here's a teaser: The police have no duty to protect you. According to repeated rulings by the Supreme Court starting over a hundred years ago. The only people in this country they have a duty and obligation to protect are 1)prisoners and 2) mentally ill folks held against their will. If you don't believe me, look it up. This blog is my opinion but the above sentence is a fact.

Oh, and btw, "Petit Gods" has nothing to do with guns or gun control.

See ya,
Jb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home