Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Novel Recommendation!!!

Ok, I've been burned lately on novels. I'll admit it and that's probably one reason I'm so picky with novels, because if I invest a lot of time, I want it to be good. Well, last night at work, I started a novel that's been sitting in my backpack forever. (See a backpack entry later in the blog)

It's called Through Violet Eyes, by Stephen Woodworth. Apparently he won the Writer's of the Future Contest--first place, I believe, (I was a non-winning quarter finalist once, Yay!) and also is a graduate of the Clarion West Writer's Workshop. I've never heard of him except for his two "violet" books and I've never read one. Until last night.

Man, what a ride. Part supernatural thriller and part police who-done-it and although I had inklings about the end, I didn't see it coming for a while and I would have to reread parts of the book to see if what I thought was going on was really going on. I started the book about one am I think--at work, where I had distractions and a job to do--and finshed the last 30 pages when I got home this morning. At eight am.

It's a hell of a book and it's what Doug Clegg's Afterlife should have been. Afterlife had the best start but the ending let me down. Through Violet Eyes did not let me down. I'm going to stop at Wal-Mart on my way to work and see if I can pick up the second one in the series With Red Hands.

We don't have a good bookstore in the town where I work, just some crappo books-videos-music store that sucks ass and has outrageous prices so the best I can hope for is that WallyWorld carries the book still although it came out in December of '04.

Anyway, without giving away any spoilers, the book was a quick read with only subtle emotional manipulation. For the most part, the author earned the emotions he earnestly elicited...say that three times real fast.

Just thought I would throw the recommendation out there. I was thinking a few days back and you know, I haven't found a counter on my blog yet and so really, I have no idea if anyone sees this. I sure haven't told anyone about it.

By reading Through Violet Eyes last night, I didn't get any writing done. It doesn't matter. Reading that book to completion made me a stronger writer and that's enough for me for last night. Tonight, maybe something different. Assuming I don't find the sequel...

Wagons HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Jb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home