Friday, August 12, 2005

Weak man, weak.

So I've been reading Mike Oliveri's blog and he's working out and man, it makes me miss it so much. For anyone who's ever been good at something, I mean really, good, and then you're unable to do that thing you're so good at due to injury...I feel your pain. Because I'm not the biggest, strongest, or best shaped lifter but damnit, I was good at lifting, at getting in the groove, at letting my body work and get bigger, get stronger, get leaner and meaner.

Last year, after a lot of pain, I had surgery on my right wrist because my Ulna was too long, (who knows why? Genetics?) and it had ruptured my TFCC (triangular fibrocartilage complex) and so they had to shorten my ulna and fix the cartilage...but it didn't fix the pain and the inablity to lift anything heavy or open a jar of pickles.

I used to do dips. That was my favorite exercise. You have to parallel bars and you hop on them with your wrists supporting your entire body and then you lower yourself until your triceps are parrallel to the floor. When I would do dips, I would strap fifty pounds to my waist with my lifting belt.

I'm 5'7 and at the time, I weighed 160lbs. Some day, maybe today, I'll post a picture. I was motherfucking ripped. Now? Fuck. The worst part is, when I was strong, and looked great, I had the best confidence and was ALWAYS in a good mood. Now, I tend to get moody and shit.

I still look okay although I'm soft around the middle now since I haven't lifted consistently in 2 years. But here's the thing. I just went into my field and cut some small trees with my chainsaw. Now, the thickest tree was about 5 inches thick, maybe less. Well, granted it's Arkansas and it was hot as hell out there, and granted my chainsaw is a small 16 inch, 32cc pussy. But after cutting about ten or fifteen small trees that I'm sick of mowing around, I was fucking beat. I could barely carry both myself and the chainsaw up the hill to the house. I'm weak man, weak. I guess that's one reason I carry a handgun when I'm away from the house. I've lost the confidence I used to have and even now, my wrist is creaking and popping.

If I dwell on it, I just get sick. In this day and age, they should be able to fix my wrist but fuck, they just can't seem to do it. I guess I have to wait until they can do complete cartilage replacement for wrists. I think that would probably be the only thing that would help my situation...

And yeah, I know they can inject liquid cartilage but my doc just laughed when I asked. He said that's only for knees but has been tried--without success--in shoulders. A wrist? Like I said, he laughed. There's nothing like a doc with a sense of humor.

I guess I should have bought a bigger chainsaw because you can't have a pussy saw AND a pussy operator. I have a story called Gainer about a weight lifter but I can't work on it because it depresses me when I think about lifting weights.

With those cheery thoughts, I bid you adieu.
Jb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home